How to Cram for an Essay Exam
Posted by admin as Writing tips
An essay is the most popular task for an exam in secondary and high school. Students have to demonstrate their creativity, professionalism and critical thinking skill. Naturally, nearly every student is afraid of essay exams, because he has to meet all requirements suggested by his teacher. Doubtless, young people have troubles with essay writing because of the lack of writing experience. When you have little time before your exam, it is hard to prepare for it in a proper way.
However, you can follow these simple writing tips that can help you cram for an essay effectively:
- Check Your Notes. When you want to prepare for an exam, you ought to recall everything what you have observed at classes. It is smart to reread your notes several times in order to be aware about the basic issues that can occur in your upcoming essay. Very often teachers suggest one of the topics that were studied at class. Consequently, you are able to look through your notes and remember at least the most basic facts about the mentioned problems. Of course, teachers can change and improve the titles of essays but you can cope with this assignment if you possess proper background knowledge.
- Try to Predict Essay Questions. When you look through your notes and read topics in a textbook, you are able to make an attempt to predict possible essay questions. You can guess what issues are the most important ones. Doubtless, teachers choose the most relevant, controversial and thought-provoking topics for essay writing, because they want to check student’s maturity, creativity and critical thinking skill. When you have predicted a few questions, try to collect basic information about them. It is reasonable to prepare a brief outline for every issue and write down a few wise ideas and arguments to them.
- Remember about the Basic Essay Structure. When you write your essay, you ought to remember that teachers appreciate and respect students who organize their written papers according to the strict standards. Very often teachers evaluate essays according to their composition. When they see that your essay contains all logical parts, you will pass your written exam. Therefore, you should know that an essay consists of three sections: exposition, the main body and denouement. Exposition occupies the first introductory paragraph of your essay. The main body should contain at least three logical paragraphs. Denouement is a concluding part where you summarize your reflections about the topic under analysis.
- Summarize Your Knowledge about the Subject. Most often students are able to write good essays relying on their deep background knowledge. When you know at least anything about every issue, you will be able to succeed in writing. However, there are cases when it is impossible to improvise and invent things. The only way out is to learn this unknown information by heart. You will have to learn dates, names of personalities and historical events. Furthermore, you will have to get to know the basic facts about characters if you write a literature essay.
- Try to Stay Calm and Relax. Fear is the worst enemy. If you want to prepare a good essay, you ought to stay calm and concentrate on writing. It is reasonable to have a good rest before the exam. Go to bed earlier in order to be fresh and collected. When you see that you are not good at the chosen topic, try to write at least anything. You need to demonstrate your ability to think and analyze the suggested problem soberly.
Contact our custom essay writing service if you are interested in getting professional writing help from academic experts hired by our company. We provide students with custom written papers on different topics.