ESL Essay Writing Tips
Posted by admin as Writing tips
When you study English as a second language, you are supposed to take an exam in the end of your course. ESL essay is one of the major tasks of this test whereas teachers want to check your ability to compose complex texts and express your point of view in English. Apparently, you should learn how to prepare your offbeat ESL essay effectively.
Thus, there are special instructions for every student who wants to learn how to construct his captive essay correctly:
- Invent a Genuine Topic. Bear in mind that teachers will check dozens of essays written by other students. For that reason, it is unwise to write about something trivial and simple. Your duty is to impress the commission. You can reach this goal if you complete an uncommon and absorbing essay about a noteworthy problem. The topic should be narrow for you to be able to observe it from all angles.
- Make a Brief Outline of Your ESL Essay. If you are an inexperienced student, it will be difficult to you to make the entire essay without an outline. Mature writers are able to express their thoughts logically and fluently. Your case is different. Prepare a brief outline of your essay pointing out at the main sections of your text. What is more, you can write down the main ideas, concepts and subcategories referred to your topic. Distribute them in the proper order to make the text look logically and sensibly.
- Think about the Main Idea and Thesis Statement. An essay is not a random pile of words and sentences. This text is expected to deliver a specific wise idea to the reader. As a result, you need to persuade the reader in the relevance and authenticity of your topic. Invent a few engrossing and remarkable points and categories that will demonstrate the major idea of your ESL essay. Finally, you should brainstorm the best thesis statement that will express your intentions. What do you want to achieve with the help of this essay? Why is the chosen topic paramount to you?
- Prepare the Introductory Paragraph. Start your essay with a fascinating and curious introduction. This paragraph should contain newsworthy and thought-provoking facts about the problem. Then, you can insert the thesis statement pointing out at the central idea of your ESL essay. The last sentence of this paragraph should contain a firm goal statement that demonstrates your opinion about the problem.
- Prepare the Body Paragraphs. Body paragraphs contain the description and development of the main points presented in your introductory part. Start the first body paragraph with the brief enumeration of the points that will be observed below. Inform the reader about the problem of your essay and try to analyze it from both sides. Supply your text with the arguments supporting your point of view. Remember that you should begin with the least important point and finish with the most practical and persuasive argument. This last argument will remain in the reader’s memory. The second paragraph should be devoted to the counterarguments that criticize your thesis statement.
- Conclude the Essay. The final section of an essay is called a denouement. In this part, one should summarize his central ideas about the total content of his essay. You should dwell on the points that have been analyzed in the main body. Do not add any extra concepts or categories, inasmuch as you will develop your analysis instead of summarizing the text. Bear in mind that conclusion resembles introduction regarding its content.
- Proofread the Essay. Hence, you are through with the essay, you ought to make sure there are no grammatical and stylistic errors. Pay attention to spelling and syntaxes. Check whether you have used the right time in the peculiar places. Focus on the use of prepositions and phraseological units.
EssayLib is one of professional essay writing services which is committed to provide students with quality custom written essays for ESL students. Try our service now!